Sunday, September 20, 2009

Friendship... Above All Else...

In my interactions with friends (those who are both close and abroad), family, and everyone in between, I've come to the realization that I talk... A LOT... Those who know me, know of my love for the opposite sex. To make this a bit more clear, I'll quote Brian Fantana from the movie: Anchorman, "Don't get me wrong, Ed... I LOVE THE LADIES!" However, there have been occasions where I have become attracted to some of my closer friends (who were girls, just to make that clear), and I have witnessed that such an attraction can jeopardize my friendship with said girls.

They always get away...

I have a close friend. Her and I have been good friends since our days in high school together. This girl will remain nameless, albeit, I'm sure she'll know who she is if she reads this blog.

Let's call her Jessica...

In high school, as our friendship blossomed, I began to have feeling of attraction towards Jessica. One fateful day, I expressed those feelings to her and she replied by saying that those feelings were not mutual; we were just "friends." I was hurt but nevertheless, I didn't want to jeopardize my friendship with her. Luckily, I didn't scare her and we remained friends. For the 2 years that I served as an LDS missionary in Virginia, we kept in contact through letters and e-mail. Upon returning home, I reestablished contact with Jessica and we began hanging out again.

In our many insightful conversations, we have discussed why it is that we are such close friends and it has been quite refreshing... For example, we are very honest with each other. We genuinely enjoy each others company, and there's never been a moment of awkward silence between us; neither of us finds those moments to be as such.

In recent events, however, I have done some things that have upset my fair lady. I want her to now that I am sorry. I apologize for my odd behavior and I can only hope that our friendship endures...

Let me head in another direction for a moment. During the summer, I went on several dates with a special girl. With each date, I became more and more attracted to her; I found that everything about her was just great. One night, we decided to talk about our situation. She informed me that she wanted to date around some more, but that she could see us "going somewhere" in the future. I told her that I would wait for her to make up her mind...

1 month later...

This special girl and I had a talk, recently. I wanted to inquire about where our relationship stood. To make it a short story, she initially told me, "I want to date you, Fred. I want to be your girlfriend... But right now, I can't... I just want you to be my friend..." AH! GASP! Once again, friends!

But I have come to a very direct realization...

BEING FRIENDS IS OK! With my friend, Jessica!... IT'S OKAY TO BE FRIENDS! With this special lady... If we date in the future, that's fine... but... BEING HER FRIEND IS JUST FINE!

I have realized that Friendship is the most important thing... above all else...

What are your thoughts on friendship?

2 comments:

  1. The way I see it, the perfect significant other is your best friend. Someone you enjoy being around for reasons other than attractiveness (although that's certainly a plus). Someone you can laugh with. Someone you enjoy talking to for hours on end. Someone who will drop anything to comfort you in your times of need, and vice-versa. A best friend.

    Sounds like you're on the right track my friend; I wish you the best.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree with Dave- friendship is where you begin, if a romantic relationship isn't founded on that first there could be issues. And who doesn't love having good friends?? =) ps. your a great writer and I just stumbled on your blog from Tor's page. He adores you. Keep it up! =) And I'm a Comms major with minor in Pol Sci- Both great subjects.

    ReplyDelete